York Minster oak and bell metal candlesticks circa 1840. York Minster Abbey suffered two fires, the first in 1829 and the second in 1840. Please visit http://www.yorkminster.org/history8.shtml for more information on the fires. Reference to this pair of candlesticks can be seen at http://web.onetel.net.uk/~gedburnell/fairburnstjames.htm In 1844, the Methodist Chapel was built near the entrance to Piper Hill. This was a threat to the Church of England whose Parish Church was All Saints at Ledsham. It was decided to build a church at Fairburn and in 1846 the present church, dedicated to St. James, was built. The tall candlesticks in the chancel were made from "Oak and bell metal of York Minster, Burnt May 20, 1840"; these words are engraved on the metal of the candle holder. Each candlestick measures 15 inches high. NOTE: We do not know if this is the exact pair mentioned in the above article or if more than one pair was made from oak and bell metal at that time. In any case, this pair is original and extremely rare.
Handel bronze floor lamp with an arts and crafts style glass shade executed in iridescent green and frosted white glass, and circa 1915. It measures 59 inches high. The shade measures 6 inches long. Excellent condition.
Handel leaded glass lamp with a 6 panel 19-inch shade. Leaded amber glass with oak leaf and acorn design. Bronze mountings and base. The lamp is 24 inches tall with an 8 inch base and is in excellent original condition. Circa 1900.
Pair of early 20th century Chinese Export sterling silver candlesticks made by Hung Chong. The candlesticks are entwined with repousse-work dragons, and are stamped with two marks: "HC" enclosed in a rectangle indicating Hung Chong; and the Shanghai guarantee mark. They each measure 7.25 inches tall and are in excellent condition.
Pair of gilt wood lamps with new burlap shades. 21 inches to top of shades, 12 inches to top of lamp, 4 inch bases,and 5 inches wide. This item is on display in our gallery at BRANFORD ANTIQUES & HOME DESIGN 824 EAST MAIN ST.BRANFORD, CT O6405 203 488-1919 open 7 days. Formerly Clocktower Antiques