York Minster oak and bell metal candlesticks circa 1840. York Minster Abbey suffered two fires, the first in 1829 and the second in 1840. Please visit http://www.yorkminster.org/history8.shtml for more information on the fires. Reference to this pair of candlesticks can be seen at http://web.onetel.net.uk/~gedburnell/fairburnstjames.htm In 1844, the Methodist Chapel was built near the entrance to Piper Hill. This was a threat to the Church of England whose Parish Church was All Saints at Ledsham. It was decided to build a church at Fairburn and in 1846 the present church, dedicated to St. James, was built. The tall candlesticks in the chancel were made from "Oak and bell metal of York Minster, Burnt May 20, 1840"; these words are engraved on the metal of the candle holder. Each candlestick measures 15 inches high. NOTE: We do not know if this is the exact pair mentioned in the above article or if more than one pair was made from oak and bell metal at that time. In any case, this pair is original and extremely rare.