Vintage set of eight Limoges porcelain oyster serving plates made by Charles J Ahrenfeldt c1894-1930, and retailed by Davis Collamore and Co Ltd. Fifth Ave and 37th ST New York New York. Each plate has 24k yellow gold accents, and is in excellent condition. “Charles J. Ahrenfeldt was born in 1856. He carried on the porcelain business established by his father, Charles Ahrenfeldt, and began producing porcelain about 1894. During the late 1890s, the company carried on an extensive export trade. White ware and decorated table china were the principal articles manufactured. Davis Collamore & Co. was a high-end New York City importer of porcelain and glass, headed by Davis Collamore (7 October 1820 — 13 August 1887. The firm, rivals to Tiffany & Co. and Black Starr & Frost, commissioned designs from Copeland Spode and Thomas Minton Sons, that featured hand-painted details over transfer-printed outlines and often rich gilding. Porcelain by Haviland, Royal Worcester, and Villeroy & Boch also appear with the firm's stamped underglaze marks integrated with the manufacturer's. Davis Collamore was among the first to recognize the beauty and value of American-made cut glass and also offered Rookwood Pottery,for which they were the representatives at the Exposition Universelle, Paris 1889. Davis Collamore, born in Scituate, Massachusetts to a family that had been settled there since 1639, was the youngest of twelve children. At the age of sixteen he moved to New York City to be employed by his brother Ebenezer, an importer of glass and china, at 171 Broadway, with a residence near St. John's Park. In 1842 he established his own business, at 595 Broadway. His brother Gilman Collamore (1834—1888) came to join him in 1854. Gilman established his own business in 1861. Gilman Collamore & Co., in premises at 731 Broadway in 1861, then occupied premises in Union Square before taking two storiess of showrooms in The Wilbraham, a fashionable block of bachelor flats at Fifth Avenue and 30th Street, that opened in 1890; about 1920 new premises were constructed for the firm at 15 East 56th Street. Davis Collamore & Co.'s premises also matched the moves uptown of fashionable New Yorkers. An ad for tea and dinner services advertised from the firm's early premises, at 479 Broadway, just below Broome Street, appeared in Harper's Weekly, 25 April 1863. Retail shops were opened at Broadway and 21st Street, then on the southwest corner of Fifth Avenue and 37th Street, and then, in 1911, at 48th and Fifth Avenue and finally at 7 and 9 East 52nd Street. There was a branch at the fashionable resort of Newport, Rhode Island.
Item 8958: $1,250
If you are interested in this item, please click the image below to send us an email. We respond to all email messages within 24 hours, and many times much quicker.