Day and Meyer Packers and Shippers photograph by Davis and Eickemeyer c1900. Day and Meyer, packers and shippers of fine furniture and works of art, was located at 341 Fourth Avenue, New York City. The original frame measures 22.5 x 18.5 inches, the photo itself measures 10.5 x 13 inches. Good condition with some fading, signed on mat lower right. Eickemeyer was born in Yonkers, New York, in 1862. Though widely travelled, he would live in Yonkers his entire life. Eickemeyer's father had fled to New York in the early 1850s following political upheavals in his native Bavaria, and became a noted inventor. His firm, Osterheld and Eickemeyer, invented a hat-blocking machine that revolutionized the hat industry, and made a number of advancements in electrical lighting. The younger Eickemeyer joined his father's firm as a draftsman in 1879. Eickemeyer first became interested in photography as a means to help document his father's inventions. He purchased his first camera, an "abnormally thick" Platyscope B, on February 2, 1884, and took his first photograph, an albumen print of his sister, the following day. Immediately drawn to the camera's artistic potential, Eickemeyer considered pursuing a career as a photographer, but his father disapproved, so he continued working for his father's firm. Eickemeyer won 11 medals at the Yonkers Photo Club's Lantern Slide Exhibition in October 1890, and over the subsequent decade, he collected over a hundred medals at exhibitions and salons around the world. After his father's death in 1895, he left his father's firm and joined the Carbon Studio in Manhattan, which specialized in portraits, and gained a reputation for photographs of high-society women. That year, he and Alfred Stieglitz became the first Americans admitted to the English pictorialist society, the Linked Ring. While Eickemeyer's work appeared in Stieglitz's Camera Notes, he was unimpressed with the rise of the Stieglitz-led Photo-Secession early in the following century. He was one of four Links who never joined the Photo-Secession, the others being F. Holland Day, Margaret Russell Foster, and C. Yarnall Abbott. In 1900, Eickemeyer joined the New York Camera Club, and exhibited 154 frames in his first one-man show at the club. That same year, he published his first book, Down South, and was appointed art manager of the Campbell Art Studio on Fifth Avenue, with which he would remain intermittently until 1915. It was while at Campbell that Eickemeyer conducted his famous shoot of New York model Evelyn Nesbit. Eickemeyer was awarded the gold medal for photography at the St. Louis World's Fair in 1904. The following year, he purchased half of the photographic firm, Davis and Stanford (renamed Davis and Eickemeyer), which operated out of a studio at 246 Fifth Avenue. In 1911, Eickemeyer was commissioned by William Randolph Hearst to photograph American wives of British peerage as part of the coronation ceremonies of King George V. Eickemeyer hosted a restropective of his work at the Anderson Galleries in New York in 1922, and made his last submissions to the London Salon in 1926. In 1929, he donated most of his best-known photographs to the Smithsonian Institution. The following year, he served as a judge in Kodak's international photography competition alongside Thomas Edison, John J. Pershing, Richard E. Byrd, and Benito Mussolini. He died at St. John's Hospital in Yonkers in 1932. A collection of his photographs have been donated to the Yonkers Museum. Bio taken from Wikipdeia.com
Rare pair of early Dr. McMunn's Elixir of Opium hand blown glass medicine bottles circa 1830. Dr. McMunn’s Elixir of Opium was first formulated in the mid 1830's by Dr. John B. McMunn. The product became popular in the United States once the A. B. & D. Sands drug company bought the recipe in 1841. Soon after, advertisements for the product flooded newspapers and medical journals, many guaranteeing that McMunn’s was not habit-forming. Yet, bottles of the narcotic-laced formula were labeled as the “Pure and Essential Extract of the Native Drug”, and the preparation was said to be “Greatly Superior to Morphine.” Touted as a cure for a host of ailments, including the relief of “convulsions and spasmodic action,” as well as “pain and irritation, nervous excitement and morbid irritability of body and mind,” McMunn’s potent remedy was among the countless pharmaceutical preparations containing opiates and widely available to the 19th-century consumer. A survey of 10,000 prescriptions filled by thirty-five Boston drugstores in 1888 revealed that 1,481 of them contained opiates. Among prescriptions refilled three or more times, 78 percent contained opiates. Bio obtained from Odyssey's Virtual Museum. This item is on display in our gallery at Old Saybrook Antiques Center and can be seen in-person by visiting 756 Middlesex Tpke Old Saybrook, CT 06475. For hours of operation visit: http://www.OldSaybrookAntiquesCenter.com If you wish to browse our entire available inventory please go to OneofaKindAntiques.com. We also offer a consultation service AntiquesConsultant.com, ... as well as an online price guide at PriceMyItem.com. Connecticut residents and buyers picking up in Connecticut please add the CT state sales tax. Buyers outside the USA are responsible for any taxes, tariffs or customs that might apply.
Vintage 27 inch tall Moet Chandon Champagne Brut Imperial display bottle. Excellent condition. This item is on display in our gallery at BRANFORD ANTIQUES & HOME DESIGN 824 EAST MAIN ST.BRANFORD, CT O6405 203 488-1919 open 7 days. Formerly Clocktower Antiques If you wish to browse our entire available inventory please go to OneofaKindAntiques.com. We also offer a consultation service AntiquesConsultant.com, ... as well as an online price guide at PriceMyItem.com. Connecticut residents and buyers picking up in Connecticut please add the CT state sales tax. Buyers outside the USA are responsible for any taxes, tariffs or customs that might apply.
Vintage Magnolia Balm for a lovely complexion, advertising circa 1900. The copy reads: "How Shall a face upon which nature has not set the seal of beauty be made by art to seem beautiful? A lovely complexion and fair skin for all. Radiant purity of the skin........" The product was made by Lyon Manufacturing Co, 144 Duane Street, New York. A note to the buyer reads: "This is a specimen of Japanese paper and ornamental printing done in the city of Yeddo Japan and used as a napkin by those wonderful people." The frame measures 10.5 x 12.5 inches and the print measures 6.5 x 8 inches. Excellent condition, newly framed.
A superb Doulton Lambeth stone pottery motto ware jug "The Wentworth" dated 1883. The inscription reads: "He that buys land buys stones, he that buys flesh buys bones, he that buys eggs buys many shells, he that buys good ale, buys nothing else." This highly collectible jug is fully marked on the underside and is in excellent condition with no damage. Measures 8 inches to the top of its handle. The Royal Doulton Company began as a partnership between John Doulton, Martha Jones, and John Watts, with a factory at Vauxhall Walk, Lambeth, London. The business specialized in making stoneware articles, including decorative bottles and salt glazed sewer pipes. The company took the name Doulton in 1853. By 1871, Henry Doulton, John's son, launched a studio at the Lambeth pottery, and offered work to designers and artists from the nearby Lambeth School of Art. The first to be engaged was George Tinworth, followed by artists such as the Barlow family (Florence, Hannah, and Arthur), Frank Butler, Mark Marshall and Eliza Simmance. In 1882, Doulton purchased the small factory of Pinder, Bourne & Co, at Nile Street in Burslem, Staffordshire, which placed Doulton in the region known as The Potteries.This item is on display in our gallery at BRANFORD ANTIQUES & HOME DESIGN 824 EAST MAIN ST.BRANFORD, CT O6405 203 488-1919 open 7 days. Formerly Clocktower Antiques