Original Myrtlewood bowl from Bayview Myrtlewood Shop North Bend Oregon c1950. This bowl hand made by an artisan on a lathe from a single piece of Myrtlewood. Measures 12 x 4 inches. Original label on base. The myrtlewood industry originated in the late 1800's along the Southern Oregon Coast. As one takes a closer look at myrtlewood craftsmanship, the oldest factory emerges as a story of history and success. The Myrtlewood Factory, located five miles north of North Bend, Oregon, at the entrance to the Dunes National Recreation Area, is the oldest in the world. In 1869, the golden spike symbolically marking completion of the nation's first transcontinental railroad was driven into a tie of highly polished myrtlewood. Later, the wood brought some rare beauty for the Great Depression years. It soon became a tourist attraction, and many small shops opened up, presenting the product to travelers along the Oregon Coast. Today you will find 15-18 retail stores, some with small factories in the back, turning bowls and trays for their own resale.
Korean pair of carved wood tortoise stands, Choson Dynasty, 17th-18th century. Each carved from a single block of wood and retaining its original polychromed surface. Each measures 7 inches long by 6 inches high and 5 inches wide. Now set with candle-pricks for use as candle holders. Tortoises have long been associated with nobility and longevity in Korean and other Asian cultures.MAIN
Victorian cast iron cane and umbrella stand c1870. Measures 26 inches to the top of its handle, 16 inches wide at base, 14 inches wide at top, and 22 inches to the top of the rack holder. Original condition.
Set of 11 pewter Christmas ornaments from Chester, Connecticut. The Chester Merchants Association began selling Christmas ornaments in 1992 as a fund raiser. Each year, a local artist, artisan, or group was asked to design an ornament. The 1993 ornament was designed by the world-renowned minimalist and conceptual artist and Chester resident, Sol Lewitt, who died in 2007. Leif Nilsson, another well-regarded local artist, designed the 1994 ornament. The 11 ornaments span 1992-2002. Each is 2.25" in diameter except that of the Chester Hose Company which is 2.25" by 2 and seven eighths inches.
Pair of W. K. Cowan Co., Chicago, solid mahogany pillar bookends, circa 1900. This is a very well made and heavy pair of bookends, capable of holding a row of books securely. Each bookend measures 7.5 inches wide at the base, 3.5 inches deep at the base and 5.5 inches high. The W. K. Cowan Company was in business from 1894 until 1916. William Kennett Cowan (b 10/24/1869); Graduated Chicago Manual Training School 1889; Trained in architecture with Henry Ives Cobb (Chicago Varnish Co. Building, the Columbian Exposition, Newberry Library, Liberty Tower in Manhattan, and the King Edward Hotel in Toronto, and other notable places); Cowan designed and supervised all of the plumbing plumbing and "related fixtures" for the Columbian Exposition in 1893 Chicago.