RARE 17th century English or Dutch hand forged brass salamander. Used as a hearth cooking spatula when needed, the salamander was primarily a browning iron holding a dish above the flame for the final touch or heated to red hot in the fire, then held above a roast or a custard to brown the surface. By one estimate, for every 1,000 peels or spatulas, perhaps one salamander survives. Measures 12.75 inches long and 3.5 inches across its flat serving end.
Bradley and Hubbard iron and brass fireplace andirons c1920, signed B and H 5902 on base. Excellent condition. Each andiron measures 21 inches high, 10 inches wide at base, and 22 inches deep. Bradley and Hubbard made the finest iron products in America during the mid 19th to early 20th century. The partnership of Nathaniel and William L. Bradley, Walter Hubbard, and Orson and Chitten Hatch began in Meriden, Connecticut, in 1852 as Bradley, Hatch & Company. Clocks were the sole product of the newly formed company. When the Hatch brothers sold their interests in the firm two years later, Nathaniel Bradley, William Bradley and Walter Hubbard formed a company which they named simply Bradley and Hubbard. By 1856, they were producing call bells and sewing machines, but clocks continued to be the main line of production throughout the 1850's and 1860's. Many northern manufacturers prospered immensely during the Civil War due to the expanded market west of the Mississippi and increased foreign exports. Bradley and Hubbard was no exception, adding the production of flags, hoop skirts, spring measuring tapes and match safes during the war years. The discovery of oil in Pennsylvania in 1859 also had a great impact on the product line of Bradley & Hubbard with the decision to begin production of kerosene burning lamps. By 1871, kerosene virtually replaced whale oil for heating and illumination and new ways of burning it more efficiently were needed. Between 1868 and 1875, Bradley and Hubbard secured 33 patents relating to the design and mechanics of oil burning lamps (in all, the company would eventually patent a total of 238 designs and mechanical devices). The company was again reorganized in 1875, this time as a joint stock company renamed The Bradley and Hubbard Manufacturing Company. To learn more about the company go to: www.BradleyandHubbard.com We also offer a consultation service AntiquesConsultant.com, ... as well as an online price guide at TheBestAntiquesPriceGuide.com.
Early English 19th century solid bell metal brass apothecary mortar and pestle c1820. This solid brass mortar rings like a church bell. Made by hand turning on a metal lathe. There are numerous later examples of this type of mortar and pestle, but none have the ring tone of this one. The piece has a lovely rich old patina. Original and in very good condition. Some very minor use marks here and there. The mortar measures 6" tall and 6 1/2" in diameter at its top and 4.25 at its bottom. The matching pestle measures 11.5" in length.
French 19th century miners iron whale oil lamp with rooster stamped Clozet S Etienne. Excellent original condition including the original iron rooster that unscrews to allow access for pouring in the oil. Measures 8 inches high with a round base that measures 5 inches in diam. The handle moves allowing the lamp to always stay level.
Vintage French Art Deco letter opener circa 1920. Steel saber shaped blade with brass and black enamel striped handle ending in steel tip. Unusual and elegant. Measures 9.75 inches long.